Purpose of the Course
This intensive course (provided as an online course in three, half-day training sessions) introduces the ONIX standard and the essentials of producing, managing, and distributing good book metadata. It mixes the background and theory of metadata with real-world practice and guidance in an approachable but authoritative way. This course has been extended from two to three afternoons to allow for the inclusion of additional data elements relating to digital products, open access, audio material and chapter-level metadata, plus extra time for discussion.
Benefits of Attending
Delegates will be provided with all the vital information to understand the basics of ONIX and how it is used in the book industry.
This course is suitable for beginners with no knowledge of ONIX, although it will also be of value to those familiar with ONIX. It is aimed at staff with management responsibility for metadata, either in editorial, IT, marketing, or production within a publisher, or in similar roles within distribution and retailing. It is not highly technical, but software developers seeking to understand ONIX would benefit from this course.
The overall content is as follows:
Some of this introduction is pre-recorded, for viewing before the training.
- Explanation of what ONIX is, with typical use cases
- Brief history of ONIX and its governance
- Brief overview of the other ONIX standards, e.g., for ONIX serials, ONIX for transactional messages, etc.
2) More Detail:
- Overview of the different versions of ONIX, i.e., 2.1 vs 3.0
- More detail on ONIX for Books 3.0
- Business benefits of: using ONIX; the BIC Metadata Excellence Award (MEA) Accreditation Scheme
- Introduction to XML syntax
- Semantics and code lists
- ONIX for Books data feeds and best practice
3) Key Data Elements:
- Record reference
- Product identifiers
- Product form and detail
- Digital products (including audiobooks)
- Usage restrictions and licensing
- Open access
- XHTML encoding of rich text
- Sets, series, or collections
- Subject codes (BIC, BISAC, Thema, CBMC, etc.)
- Descriptive text and other collateral material
- Chapter-level metadata
- Imprint and publisher
- Publication date and sales embargo
- Territorial sales rights
- Non-territorial sales restrictions
- Related works and products
- Publishing status and availability
- Simple markets
- Supply details and pricing
- Free of charge products
4) Best Practice Guidelines
- Where to look for further information
Graham Bell / Chris Saynor, EDItEUR. (Read about BIC Trainers, here).
Feedback for this Course
Course Date(s) and Registration Link
Held over three afternoons:
Live online video session via the GoToMeetings platform. Full log-in instructions will be given to all trainees a week beforehand
This is a 1.5 day course which will be delivered in three, half-day training sessions, 1.00pm-5.30pm UK time) on the dates specified, above.
BIC & EDItEUR Members £456 + VAT
Friends of BIC £540 + VAT
Non Members £620 + VAT
Please note these prices do not include the Eventbrite processing fee.
Combined discount available:
Please note that any individual who registers, at the same time, to attend both the BIC ONIX Advanced Topics (May) and this ONIX: Essentials Plus training course will be eligible to receive a £100 discount on the combined cost of their tickets. This offer is open to BIC & EDItEUR Members, Friends of BIC and Non-Members. Contact BIC email@example.com for further information and to receive your discount code (prior to booking your place); tickets purchased using this discount code will not be transferrable within your organisation. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other or discount code.
Register to attend this course via Eventbrite by clicking on your preferred course date in the ‘ Course Date(s) and Registration Link’ section (above). Payment is accepted via VISA, Mastercard and American Express.
Alternative Payment Option: If you would prefer BIC to invoice your organisation directly, please contact us. Please note that this process will incur a £25.00 administration fee.