- This event has passed.
BIC’s EDI for Libraries Half-Day Training Course (online)
November 8, 2023 @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm GMT
BIC’s EDI for Libraries Half-Day Training Course
Purpose of the Course
Libraries rely on Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to enable efficient electronic communication, such as exchanging quotes, orders and invoices with stock suppliers. Although this is a mature technology, it is important for libraries of all kinds to be able to understand and manage their EDI systems efficiently. This online training course is designed to help librarians to manage EDI, to use industry standards, to solve EDI issues and to gain the benefits of their EDI investment.
Benefits of Attending
This course will:
- Provide delegates with the knowledge and confidence to understand and manage their library’s EDI systems and the various methods of exchanging business messages, such as quotes orders and invoices, with their suppliers.
- Include an overview of EDI, the EDI messages and standards and how to use them, and how to solve issues and obtain help.
- Be an opportunity for librarians to dive behind the scenes and understand how their library systems and their supplier’s systems communicate. They will develop the confidence to problem-solve with systems suppliers and stock suppliers when EDI issues arise.
- Cover EDI as used by both public and academic libraries.
This course is aimed at those who are completely new to EDI or who have had some involvement but have never felt completely at ease with EDI systems and standards. Attendees do not need technical know-how but should understand the basics of key library processes, especially acquisitions. Library staff, who deal with 3rd parties providing day-to-day EDI services, would also benefit from attending this course.
This webinar-based course consists of information slides with informal discussion combined with exercises exploring practical areas such as the make-up of EDI messages, mapping to the EDI standards, and how to cope with specific requirements. The topics covered will include:
- What is EDI for Libraries?
- How does it work?
- Standards and technologies: Tradacoms, EDIFACT and APIs
- Setting up EDI with the Library Management System and Library Stock Suppliers
- Importance of EDI standards for Libraries
- Exploring the benefits of EDI
- How to solve Library EDI issues
- How to obtain help and guidance
Ahead of the course, BIC will send a brief survey to course delegates covering EDI issues they may have encountered. This is to ensure that the course is as relevant and useful as possible.
Heather Sherman, Director of Academic Library Operations, Bibliographic Data Services Ltd.
William Scott, EDI Specialist, Peters Ltd. Bespoke and In-House Training
Online / Virtual Training using GoToMeetings
Wednesday 8th November 2023
This is a half-day course, 2.00pm – 4.30pm.
BIC Members £14.99 + VAT
Friends of BIC £19.99 + VAT
Non-Members £24.99 + VAT
Not sure if your organisation is a BIC member, check here.
If you would like to remain informed about all of BIC’s forthcoming events, including our BIC Brunch sessions, join our mailing list.
Note: Ticket price excludes the Eventbrite processing fee.
Please take a few moments to familiarise yourself with our refund policy.
Should you need to cancel your ticket, refunds may be given as follows:
- Up to 6 calendar weeks (i.e. 42 calendar days) before the event: full refund
- Less than 6 calendar weeks, but more than 2 calendar weeks (i.e. 14 days) before the event: 50% refund
- Less than 2 calendar weeks before the event: no refund
If you (or a colleague in your place) do not attend the training course, no refund will be given.
Please note: Payment through Eventbrite only, tickets are transferable within your organisation.